Sunday 15 August 2010

Remeber Grown Up Words

As I sit here this morning I feel the need to crawl back into bed and go to sleep. I had a party last night it was very drunken and very noisy and it went on till about 3.45 am. Now before you say well it is your own fault you are tired, let me explain.


I was not at the party, the party was in my street. I suspect some neighbours had gone away for the weekend leaving their son at home. So what does he do? He decides to have a party and invite his friends. His friends in turn invite others. So at 3.45am there were some 30 or 40 of them running about in the street making loads of screaming noises, and I will draw a veil over some of the other things that were happening.

I was going to do something to have the noise stopped, instead I remembered that at their age I would have probably been doing the very same. Just because they look like adults and wish to be treated like adults does not make them adults. Had I suspected they were in any real danger I may well have done something. Instead I lay in bed counting, not sheep but the parties I had attended.

Yesterday seemed to be party day in my street. Earlier in the day my next door neighbour had a party in her back garden. Her son was celebrating his second birthday. They had great fun.

I was reminded of the tale of the teacher trying to make children adults too soon.

A group of children had started nursery school and were trying very hard to do all that was expected of them.

The biggest hurdle they faced was that the teacher insisted on NO baby talk! You need to use 'Big People' words,' she was always reminding them.

She asked John what he had done over the weekend.

"I went to visit my Nana," he replied.

"No, you went to visit your GRANDMOTHER. Remember we must always use 'Big People' words!"



She then asked Mary what she had done

"I took a ride on a choo-choo".

She said. "No, you took a ride on a TRAIN. You must remember to use 'Big People' words".

She then asked little Alex what he had done.

"I read a book" he replied.

That's WONDERFUL!' the teacher said. "What book did you read?"

Alex thought real hard about it, then puffed out his chest with great pride, and said,

"Winnie the SHIT"

Well you see if you ask children to be adults they might be just that.

Forgive the use of that word but I always laugh when I think of that book. When my daughter was very young, I had a CB radio in my car. In those days people had a handle, a code name. Being a minister of religion mine was of course, Sky Pilot. My daughter Lindsey loved the Pooh books so her handle was, Linnie the Pooh. My son in his innocence one day asked why Lindsey was always asking to go for a pooh.

Have a good Sunday

This blog is linked to my other Butterfly

6 comments:

  1. Good Morning Ralph, I must say I slept well last night! Now your daughter is a teacher! I hope her students don't find today's post! Yes, youth is wasted on the young. Luckily my best parties are long forgotten! and now my favorite party is a brunch! My version of staying up late might be
    until 10.pm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter in law is a teacher. A PE teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ralph I think lack of sleep brings out your humorous side. Laughed right out loud, literally, reading this one.

    You should call this the "feel good" blog. Every time I stop by, you make me feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kids say the darndest things! LOL Hoping today finds you a bit more caught up on your rest, Ralph.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Morning Ralph--thanks for the great story today--I very much enjoyed it. I watched an old movie with my old friend just yesterday: "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest". There is a cold cold character in the movie named Nurse Rached. My mind flashed on her when you described this teacher correcting her students. You are so right, youth is an important time and parties are something young people really have to do. You and your neighbors showed restraint --I must say, I am glad there was no party on my street last night. Can't the young people spread their wings in the country?! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice laid-back attitude, Ralph! I'll try to keep your good example in mind next time a party springs up on our street. I might be able to pull it off if there's an event while we're still on summer break:)

    It reminds me of when a young man moved into the mother-in-law cottage next door. He came over one evening and said, "Hi! I'm Rob and today is my 21st birthday. I'm having a party." Thank goodness I took a moment to respond. I was going to tell him that I couldn't attend. How could I let him down easy? He continued, "If the music gets a little loud, please don't call the cops. Let us know and we'll turn it down." Oops. I guess this fifty something year old wasn't invited. My husband thought it was hilarious. He still teases me:)

    ReplyDelete