Monday 23 August 2010

I think I Might be Intelligent.

Before I write this blog today, can I say that I am expressing my own personal view, speaking entirely for myself, and not about anybody else? I am sure that there are many people who get much support from some organisations such as the one I am about to talk about. If you are a member I am sure you thought about it before you joined and that it was right for you.

From time to time friends ask me if I am a member of Mensa. I am not. At one time in my life I went through the process of completing the form and having my IQ worked out to see if I would be eligible. Pretty awesome for somebody who was asked to leave school at 15, because I would never progress in the world of education? I discovered I would qualify to apply for membership. Then wondered why I would want to.

I mention this because the question came up again yesterday. I told the person who asked the following tale.

A few years ago, there was a Mensa convention. Several of the members who were attending decided to lunch together at a local cafe. While dining, one of them discovered that their saltshaker contained pepper and the pepper shaker was full of salt.



Now this gave them an interesting dilemma. How could they swap the contents of the bottles without spilling, and using only the implements at hand? Clearly, this was a job for Mensa!



The group debated and presented ideas. After some considerable time they finally came up with a brilliant solution involving a napkin, a straw, and an empty saucer.



They called the waitress over to dazzle her with their solution.



“Ma’am,” they said, “We couldn’t help but notice that the pepper shaker contains salt and the salt shaker . . . “



Before they could get another word out the waitress interrupted them.



“Oh, I am sorry about that.” She said.

She unscrewed the caps of both bottles and switched them.

Without another word she left them to complete their meals and their deliberations.

How very easy it is to be proud of the talents we have and the abilities we have acquired with time.

The wise sage is the one who stays quiet about such matters and offers help when asked.

I remember having fun creating newspaper headlines. The game was to create a headline that would catch the attention and then to have the first lines of the article that would go with the headline.

There were some really funny ones but the one I remember the best was the following.

Dolphins Outsmart Humans.

The first lines of the article read.

Did you know that dolphins are so intelligent that within only a few weeks of captivity, they can train humans to stand at the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

It seems the bottom line is not so much what you know in life but how you use what you know. Whether we use it for self gain or for the help of others.

I am aware I am speaking to bloggers who day by day use what they know to help others and it is good to be part of such a community.

This blog is linked to my other. The Tiger





A Product Review.


I received an email from a lady called Alise Johnson she asked me to review a software product. I normally would never do such a thing but as some of you know I have been having terrible problems with a very sluggish computer. Yesterday I took time to try this software. Digeus System Optimizer. It took time to use, possibly because my computer was in such a state, but I have to say that this morning my computer started in half the normal time and it does seem to be running much smoother and faster today. I would therefore recommend this product to you. If you wish to know further about this I would be happy to send you the link or you could get in touch with them yourself.





4 comments:

  1. Ask her if they make that Digeous System Optimizer for people... I could use it!
    About the Mensa group, I agree with you! How can we really measure intelligence? And all the different types of intelligence... Good points to ponder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the story of the waitress. Made me laugh right out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning Ralph my hands still hurt but I am alive and well. Interesting post today! I think I am like Groucho Marx: I wouldn't join any organization that had such low standards that they would accept me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. is this link http://digeus.com/products/systemoptimizer/system-optimizer.html ?

    ReplyDelete