Monday 25 October 2010

Silence is Golden, So They Say


I had many ideas in my youth, some I am proud to remember, some I look back on with some pride and some in which I did much learning. One such idea was to hold a twenty-four hour meditation of silence. I combined this with a week of sacrificial eating. The final aim was to raise funds and awareness of the worlds starving. The week began with the twenty-four hour meditation in silence. Members of the public were invited to join for any length of period they chose. I had provided sheets
that people could give thought to during the allotted time of silence they had chosen. I and one or two others did the full period.
For the rest of the week I ate only a cup of boiled rice each day. I drank ten cups of water. The project raised a fair sum of money which was given to charity.
The time of silence was short in comparison to the six months of silence I was going to experience later in my life due to voice problems. It was however long enough to allow me to experience way of the inner mind when deprived of the use of the voice. A lesson I have found useful in many ways since. Living on a cup of rice taught me empathy with those who had to live out their lives on such small amounts. It taught me never to complain about what I had or did not have but to make the best of what came my way.
It saddens me when I hear day in and day out people constantly wanting more and more, and when the luxuries of life so easily become the necessities. I was thinking of this yesterday as I walked in the beauty of this place where I am today. Surrounded by mountains and the wonderful colours of autumn. I am greatly blessed indeed. Now why should I have cause to complain.
On a lighter note, a good friend reminded me of a lovely story that made me start this day with the same message but with a grin and an inner smile.
It is the story of the girl who signed up to join a monastic order of silence. At the end of the first five
years she was told she could say two words. She thought for some time and said. "
Hard bed.” She was told that it would be rectified.
At the end of ten years she was again permitted two words. She said, ”Food cold.”
At the end of fifteen years she was again permitted two words. She said, “I quit.”
The old sage said to her, “Maybe it is best you do. You have done nothing but complain since you came here.
I return home tomorrow and hope to catch up with your blogs I miss reading them.
I have not managed to change the other blog today

2 comments:

  1. I so agree with you about how we want more-more-more. Once I read an account of my Irish ancestors and how they had come to America and immediately became house servants. The people who owned the house had to give the immigrants shoes...because they didn't have any! whoa! Those were MY ancestors!? I think about my zillions of pairs of shoes and really feel so sheepish. We could feed the world on what is currently spent on shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Celeste indeed; I saw a licence plate on a car yesterday; and my though exactly was - what a waste, I wonder how many Christmas dinners the cost of that would provide for the homeless.
    The licence plate nicely bound round and with fancy embellish had a message section across bottom...a scrolling messsage in bright neon red..."Live The Day". Said plate attached to Jaquar!
    Sounds simple; but an needless, expensive toy; a case of wanton more!

    ReplyDelete