Friday 24 September 2010

Three Young Ladies?

Last night after my evening meal I went for a walk. As I was getting ready to go out the door my wife’s parting words were, “Remember it is a walk you are going for you are not going out to right the worlds wrongs.” She is always so worried that I will say something to some bunch of yobs and they will not like what I say. I assured her I would be on my best behaviour and headed off out the door.

I set off heading towards the setting sun. The sky was beautiful with its reds and oranges and the dark clouds interspersed through it. It was breathtaking. I turned to head south so the red sky was to my side. Ahead of me were three young ladies, heading in the same direction. They were obviously very hungry and thirsty. They were leaving behind them a trail of litter and empty bottles. My wonder of the sky was spoiled as I tried to gather their mess.

As I caught up with them, I remembered my wives words. I looked at them and said,” I think you have been dropping things that belong to you. Such a shame you spend so much time to look like nice young ladies and then go and spoil it by acting like children.” I popped the litter and rubbish in the first bin about fifty yards further on.

Jerry once reminded me not to blame young people, to blame their parents. Nobody tells so many of our young people how to behave. As I left them, I heard one of them say, “Sorry mister.” It is not all hopeless. I called back, “Thank you.”

I kind of hope my wife is too busy today to read this blog, and please my friends don’t you give me trouble either.

I walked the rest of my journey thinking about the story of the world survey.

The story was that a worldwide survey had been carried out and only one question was asked.

"Would you please give your honest opinion about the solution to the food shortage in the rest of the world?"

The survey was, not surprisingly, a huge failure.

Because:

In Africa they didn't know what "food" meant.

In Eastern Europe they didn't know what "honest" meant.

In Western Europe they didn't know what "shortage" meant.

In China they didn't know what "opinion" meant.

In the Middle East they didn't know what "solution" meant.

In South America they didn't know what "please" meant.

And, in the UK/USA they didn't know what "the rest of the world" meant.

I do not mean to be unkind to any country. In times of economic uncertainty it is so easy for us to turn in on ourselves. We have so many problems that need sorting, we have no time for other matters.

In my country right now we are constantly being told about the governments’ big idea. The big idea is not really all that big, it hardly gets past our own noses.

I long for a return of the days when there was a society and we all cared for each other and for the world. We did once, I can remember it.

So sorry this is sounding heavy today. I am heading off tomorrow to run my two mountains. I will not manage a post tomorrow but should manage back on during my time away.

Please all have a great weekend and week. If you have a moment think of me and my mountains, I will try my best to keep you informed.

This blog is linked to my other.  Dave

6 comments:

  1. Good Morning Ralph, I am up early today. Loved the survey question, isn't that so true! I remember a saner, safer world also. We used to have signs along the freeway warning of $100 fines for littering. Now the signs are gone and the trash is piled deep. Texas, I believe, still has their signs: "Don't Mess with Texas"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when ministry of roads hired summer students to clear litter along the highways. They were equipped with pegged poles and large bags and dropped off in groups each morning and by season's end the roadways were cleared.

    I also remember when one could be fined for spitting on sidewalks. Ah well, all is gone.

    Not too long ago I was travelling a roadway and in traffic stopped on a bridge. Below the bridge was a stream...I guess it was once a stream....you could not see the water for the litter piled deep.

    We scream about clean drinking water in a country with the most drinkable water in the world. Our wells are polluted, our water table systems are polluted, what industry doesn't rain down on us, we manage to pile along streams and roadways.

    Now you have me on a soapbox. All I can do is do as you did....pick up the litter and put it where it blongs.

    Have a wonderful time away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning. I have really enjoyed my stop here today and your thoughts. I love to stop and read even when I don't have too much to comment back. Glad you made an impression on the young folk though:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post Ralph. You nailed it right on

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very good post! Perfect description of how it used to be~!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will not give you a hard time Ralph, as I very much enjoyed your post. And I was there with you, I saw that evening sky last night ... wonderous. me and my mum couldn't help but comment to each other about it.

    Have a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete