Tuesday 21 September 2010

Friend Are Such Precious Things.

I had an interesting comment made to me yesterday. Now at this exact moment I am not going to say who it was made the comment, whether it was an acquaintance or a friend. The person I was with had asked me a question about something that was happening in the village. When I said I did not know the answer the person commented that he was surprised. he thought at least one of my friends would have told me. He then went on to name somebody and say, “Surely he knows the answer.”

This comment made me think. Yes the person mentioned might indeed know the answer. But more important did I consider this person a friend, the person he spoke of. He went on to make the comment that he did not know anybody with as many friends as I have. Now the truth is, I do speak to a great many people, likewise a great many people seem happy to share time with me. Yes I am surrounded by friends.

But do I treasure them as I should? Do I give them enough of my time? Am I there for them if they need me? So many questions that saying we have friends throws up. What is the real nature of friendship?

In the world of blogging we can see some examples of the difference. I am sure it is the same for all of us. There are those FRIENDS, who visit out blog on a regular basis whether we visit theirs and leave a comment or not. There are those who only visit after we make a comment on their blog and there are some who never visit at all.

I was made very aware of this when one friend, please note I said friend, asked me to visit her blog. I visit it regularly; I just do not always leave a comment. I do the same with so many. I apologise that I have been so remiss and will make more effort to let you know I am visiting. Friends are important and I cherish the many I have met on blogging.

A very dear friend added to my collection of stories with this little marvel. I share it with you.

Two monks, who kept a vow of silence, were making a journey. The walk was long, warm and tiring. They stopped for lunch. At one point one of the monks, in some way did something to upset the other. The monk slapped his hand across the face of the one who had offended.

The one who had been slapped, stood up. He said noting and with a stick wrote in the sand.

Today my best friend slapped me in the face.

The journey continued, and they walked on.

They came to an oasis where they stopped. They rested, then decided to take a much need bathe.

One of the monks, the one who had been slapped, got stuck in the mud and was sinking. The other monk managed to drag him clear.

The monk who had now been slapped and saved, rested after the ordeal. he then got up and carved into a stone the following words.

Today my best friend saved my life.

As the day came to a close and the two were now able to lay aside the vow of silence and speak, they discussed the day.

The one who had slapped his friend and then saved his life, wanted to know about the writing in sand and carving in stone.

The saved one explained. When someone hurts us, we should write it down in sand where the winds of forgiveness will carry it away. When someone does something good for us we must engrave it in stone so that it is never forgotten, and the winds of time cannot erase it.

Learn to write your hurts in the sand and to carve your benefits in stone.

It is said, that it takes a minute to find a special friend. It takes an hour to appreciate them. It takes a day to love them. But then it takes and entire life to forget them.

To those who know I consider them friends in your artistic eye watch as I carve your name on my heart where it will always be cherished.

This is the way of the Tao.

This blog is linked to my other. The Work Goes On

8 comments:

  1. If i have an upset over something with anyone - i Golden Key it - then in my minds eye - i leave it under my pillow for 21 days and forget about it - by the end of 21 days its usually sorted-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Ralph. I love this story. It speaks of forgiveness in a very different way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may forgive a hurt but I never forget, and I never , ever forget when someone does a good thing for me. That is the way of a Scorpio.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning Ralph, I am alive and well. I often, as energy allows, leave a comment on your blog and I do it for a couple reasons. First as a thank you and I want you to know that you are appreciated. We have a little friendship of bloggers that regularly visit you and your blog is an inspiration to all of us. You are our guru and glue that holds us together. and the second reason I comment is a genuine desire to turn this into a discussion, get a little deeper if you will. For this same reason on my blogs I often comment on the comments and sometimes this develops entirely new blogs and certainly a better understanding of particular people and ideas. I have to admit sometimes I wonder "did Ralph even see my comment?" Blogging at its best is like ping-pong, if there is no return serve it is "game over". I do wonder about "followers"
    and see that some people have well over a hundred of them! But they never leave messages or comment and I think perhaps they are following out of politeness (something I have never been accused of!) and are not really there at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know just exactly what you mean Jerry. I am always grateful for your comments and as you probably know I always read them. More than this if the comment was not there I would be coming over to ask if you were ok or to send you an email. I have a few followers who have never ever commented on my blog although I have on theirs on more than one ocassion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't always comment; sorry about that. It is just that sometimes what I would add would diminish the message of your blog.
    And sometimes your blogs leave me 'speechless'!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I simply appreciate and admire your dedication to write most every day. Sometime I comment, others I do not ... I'm usually more drawn to your "art" blog but read both regularly. It's become a part of my day I enjoy. Thanks. I'd comment more, but they would be long stories of my own related to yours. I'm planning on writing more myself, just to sort stuff out. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Life is too precious to waste harboring a grudge. You tell stories so charmingly, I'm often smiling and embarrassed (usually at identifying with the character caught doing something unworthy) at the same time.

    ReplyDelete