As some of you know I left school at the early age of 15 to begin work in an abattoir and butchers. I did that for a few years then got my life in gear and went to university to become a minister of religion. Having done that for some time I re-entered university to become a teacher of world religions and philosophy.
So as I stood on the platform of the quiz game what would I be a retired butcher, killer, minister or teacher? Would I have the nerve to claim to be an artist.
These thoughts were brought to my mind when yesterday my friend happened to say to me he would not like to have to write my CV. Because he would also have to include things like prison chaplain, hospital and school chaplain and magistrate.
So I found myself asking just who on earth am I and what would I want remembered for. So I googled all of the things I have listed above, (yes I am guilty of wasting time) to see which looked best. During the process I found this little gem and I just had to share it with you. Especially those of you who are teachers.
1872 Instructions to Teachers
1.Teachers will fill lamps, clean chimneys and trim wicks each day.
2. Each teacher will bring a scuttle of coal and a bucket of water for the day's use.
3. Make your pens carefully. You may whittle nibs for the individual tastes of children.
4. Men teachers may take one evening a week for courting purposes or two evenings a week if they go to church regularly.
5. After ten hours in the school the teacher should spend the remaining time reading the Bible and other good books.
6. Women teachers who marry or engage in other unseemly conduct will be dismissed.
7. Every teacher who smokes, uses liquor in any form, frequents pool or public halls, or gets shaved in a barber shop will give good reasons to suspect his worth, intentions, integrity and honesty.
8. The teacher who performs his labours faithfully without fault for five years will be give an increase of 25 cents a week in his pay - providing the Board of Education approves.
Now this made me realise that first and foremost I am glad I was a teacher but so happy I did not have any of the above rules.
I hope this just starts your day off with a little smile as it did for me when I found it. Two of them made me smile even more than the rest what one did you like most?
This blog is linked to my other. Spring Will Come Again