Thursday 17 June 2010

Making The Best Of What We Have

Good morning today is a new day and I am going to make the best of it, as a good friend of mine says often. I often joke about the man I meet every morning, the one who lives at the back of my mirror. He looks so much older than me and not at all the person I believe I am.


He invites me every morning to feel depressed, but I try my very best to decline the invitation. I had an old aunt who lived to the ripe old age of 103. I cannot remember a single time I met her that she was not positive and full of life, a message she handed on to myself and later my daughter. One of the most amazing things is that no matter how long she had lived she was still surrounded by friends, right up to her last day on earth. Her positive outlook was a magnet to others.

A very old lady looked in the mirror one morning. She had three remaining hairs on her head, and being a positive soul, she said, "I think I'll braid my hair today." So she braided her three hairs, and she had a great day.

Some days later, looking in the mirror one morning, preparing for her day, she saw that she had only two hairs remaining. "Hmm, two hairs. I fancy a centre parting today." She duly parted her two hairs, and as ever, she had a great day.

A week or so later, she saw that she had just one hair left on her head. "One hair huh," she mused, "I know, a pony-tail will be perfect." And again she had a great day.

The next morning she looked in the mirror. She was completely bald.

"Finally bald huh," she said to herself, "How wonderful! I won't have to waste time doing my hair any more.”

Now is that not the way to start your day? Making the very best of what we have and thinking positive.

This blog is linked to my other where today I will apologise for the art used here. The Positive Man

7 comments:

  1. Good Morning Ralph, it is 3:30 am my time and a nice quiet morning it is! I used to have hair so I can relate to this story for sure! I often wonder what the younger me, say when I was 17 and knew everything, would think of this older person I have become? And I wonder where that strong lad went to! We hang on to each other like bonded friends and today laugh at the silliness of ever knowing anything and missing the strength to discover it all! I keep and hold dear his lack of fear and his wonderment of discovery even when he is irritated by my slower pace. I think I am faster now at altering my perceptions and I adjust quickly to my limitations and life still turns out grand. It is June 17th today and we still haven't had a taste of summer! My precious tomatoes may not make it at all. So now I am thinking of a fall crop of vegetables! That will be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An absolutely fabulous story of that old woman and her hair, Ralph. Oh to be like her in outlook and disposition! She has, however, brought a big smile to my face this a.m.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ralph,

    It's good to read you again this morning. A wonderful story filled with an inspiring message of how to view life. I love what you share with us.

    About depression. I heard once that if you are depressed, don't sit home thinking of how depressed you are. Rather go to your neighbor and offer to help him. Soon you will be feeling better, because doing for others brings us great joy, and soon you'll forget you were ever depressed.

    You're always doing for others Ralph. Don't listen to that negative man in your mirror! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a perfect story about positive thinking. Where do you come up with so many stories. Posting one every day is amazing. Your stories are better than a cup of coffee in the morning. What a great way to start the day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great sentiment to start the day! Thanks for sharing.

    It's hysterical to discover the hair-thickening product placement at the end of your post! Laughter is truly good for the soul and I've had a good laugh this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh there is a "stress management program" ad at the bottom of Ralph's blog now. haha. This post is good for what ails me..my hair is the bane of my existence. When I was young EVERYONE in my family has thick beautiful blonde hair. I got stuck with thin mouse brown (now gray). I always wondered why did I get such crap hair! lol--but this story illustrates that I should be happy I have hair at all! Thanks for the reminder, Ralph..we truly are what we think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ralph. I love your post about positive thinking. I judt don't do it often enough.

    I've finally updated my blog!! I do hope you enjoy my new post. I was kinda thinking of you when i wrote it......

    ReplyDelete