Thursday 22 July 2010

The Girl Who Could Not See.

Susan had a lovely blog the other day about meeting new people. How often we are having similar thoughts, maybe I should just read her blog and direct you all to it.


I have a love of meeting people, sadly not all the people we meet leave us with a happy feeling. I met so many who uplifted me during my vacation but I met some who left me feeling ashamed to be from the same nation. Those people who see everybody from every country other than their own, as inferior to themselves. Sadly there are so many.

There is a story I would like to share with you.

It is the story of a blind girl who hated herself just because she’s blind. She also seemed to hate everyone, as if they were responsible for her blindness. There was one exception, her loving boyfriend. He’s always there for her. She always said that if she could only see the world, she would marry him.

One day, someone donated a pair of eyes to her. Now she could see everything, including her boyfriend. Her boyfriend asked her, “Now that you can see the world, will you marry me?” The girl was shocked when she saw that her boyfriend is blind also, and refused to marry him. Her boyfriend walked away in tears.

Later, after hearing she had met somebody new he wrote her a letter saying. “I loved you with all my heart and will continue to do so. Please take care of my eyes. May they continue to let you see the wonder of the world.”

It is such a joy to meet people who lift the inner being. We can find them in the most unexpected of places but only when we have removed the blinkers of prejudge. It takes more than eyes to see. Those who are artists know that we do not just paint with the eyes. My friend Andy often sees mopre than those with sight.

I do not know hwy I wrote this today because the people I meet here do not need to hear this. I just felt a deep urge to get this thought out of my head and shared with others.

This blog is linked to my other where I discuss the art work  Lavender Fields

8 comments:

  1. Nice to have you back Ralph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing post, Ralph. I was so saddened by the blind girl's selfishness. I am afraid to probe myself so deeply this a.m.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A sad tale. One that can be ascribed to many of us I am afraid; so often we see others visually and not with our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ralph, thank you for the lovely compliment. Your blog is wonderful. Each day it makes me think deeply about something. You have a way of opening our eyes and often our hearts to view something from a slightly different angle than before. I really like that about you. You're a kind and beautiful person. Please don't cripple yourself, your spirit, by worrying about the masses and how many people stop by to read or comment.

    Just a secret, but often your message moves through those who come and echos out to many who never approach your written word...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ralph, the only people we can change is ourselves, but if everyone approached just one little gesture wouldn't it make the world a grander place?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Morning Ralph, I am alive and awake and returning to my routine of reading your blog first! I think many cultures, especially while on holiday have a tendency to be voyers, always on the outside and looking at the "natives" with an air of superiority. The "ugly American" took this to the extreme. I think it is a twisted need to be better, maybe "closer to God?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you may be right Jerry but I have never been so aware of it till recently. THanks Sherry for that comment it is good to be back and to be talking to you all again. Makes my day

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was quite young I visited the state of Maine for the first time. We had driven there from the state of Florida, a very long drive. We met a farmer and for whatever reason (I was about 20) I blurted out to him "it was 85 degrees in Florida when we left" (It was cold in Maine)--The farmer said in a measured way, "Yehhap, you can keep it" Well, it seems we were both "defending" or proud of "our" homes. It was a strange exchange that I will always remember. The farmer and I were very invested in ourselves and our places in the world.
    (Thanks for the great story Ralph, and for "listening" to mine too! lol)

    ReplyDelete