Saturday 24 July 2010

The Garden Plot

It is a marvellous feeling when the seeds you planted in spring become the produce of the table. Once again I have planted far too many salad leaves and certain things. My family make fun as they go down to the plot and fill their plastic bags. My daughter having gathered a variety of vegetables was heard to say, “All this and not a checkout in sight.” I get great pleasure from leaving little bags of produce on my neighbours doorsteps.


It is also the time of year when little competitions take place. Archie, my dear old friend counts every potatoe he digs up. he makes little graphs of the number per plant, the weight produced by each plant, the number per row. He is so serious and yet it is all in good fun. He also gets delight in giving little bags of produce to friends.

He is already dropping hints that he wants to keep his garden going next year but will need my help to turn it over. I in turn am teasing him and pretending not hear him.

There is a lovely story about an old man around about the age of Archie, 84. His son each year would turn over his plot and allow him to plant his potatoes and vegetables. The son had been foolish and ended up in jail. The old man wrote to him.

Dear David,

I do not think I will manage to dig the plot the year or get my potatoes planted. I wil just have to do the best I can with the weeds till your release. Please think carefully about this foolish act of yours and do not do the same again. Maybe I will just mange to dig a small part of the plot.

Love Dad.

Two days later he received a letter back from his son.

Dear Dad,

Yes I have learned my lesson and it will never happen again I promise. One important thing though, please do not dig the plot that is where the loot from the crime is hidden.

Love David.

The next day three van loads of police arrived at the plot. They unloaded from the vans with boots and spades and dug the whole plot finding nothing.

The father wrote to the son.

Dear David,

The police have been here all day turning over my plot what will I do?

Love Dad.

The reply came.

Dear Dad,

Why don’t you just plant your potatoes and vegetables.

We do not have to be near a person to be able to help them or uplift them. Distance should be no barrier to the words of love and the kind action. If you have decided you would like to do something for another never let the space between you be a barrier.

Thanks again for the email it lifted my heart. I know you have read this with your morning coffee hope it warms your heart.

This is the way of the Tao. Noja Beach

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful story. My heart is warmed and lifted...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous story; I love what that son did from jail!! LOL See? He wasn't all bad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning Ralph, there are so many morning coffee drinkers on your site we are all feeling warm and uplifted! One of my biggest regrets this year has nothing to do with my cancer. I made a wonderful food dryer about 25 years ago and I was going to send dried tomatoes all over the world! The cold and rainy beginning to this gardening season means yes, I will have no tomatoes! So, that will be my goal for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks again for a lovely story.

    ReplyDelete