Tuesday 20 July 2010

Facing the Unexpected

Let me begin today by saying how overwhelmed I was to discover so many of you still here and reading my blog. I was so sure I would have to begin again taking time to meet all my friends on blogger. It was such a joy to have so many comments made on my first day back. Thanks to all of you. I would also like to take just a minute to say thanks to Jerry who emailed me once or twice and I am so happy to see you are still so positive and sounding so well. Glad you are through the chemo and you are as ever in my thoughts.


Now I am aware that there is nothing more boring that other peoples holiday tales but let me share this with you. Each day I ran first thing in the morning. I went the same route each day, unlike me I usually love to explore new routes. I went the same way for a reason. The run ended each day with the unexpected and a bit of excitement. Even at my age I love that.

I ran through a little village about a mile or so from the caravan park then headed into the nature park. There I ran a small track which eventually passed over a small wall path with water each side. Halfway along there was a small mill operated by the water. This part was tidal so gave me a hint at the possible ending of my run.

Having left the wildlife park I headed towards a village called Isla. A long uphill road led to the village dropping back down to the sea. Here was the fun part. Only when I arrived here did I know what the last part of the run would be. If the tide was fully in it meant a fairly long swim over to the beach by the caravan park. If it was coming in or going out it meant either a wade in strong currants, and that could be exciting. If it was fully out then just a small paddle and a further long run along the firm beach.

People thought I was mad, and they were probably correct about that. There was always the other alternative about turning and retracing my route backwards.

How like life and art is that? Some days life and painting can be a paddle other days it can be a hard wade making you feel like giving up. At other times there might be the difficult but possible swim against the tide. Maybe, just maybe sometimes we have to backtrack and do a rethink.

This is in fact the way of Tao. We have to take risks sometimes but we must always go with what our heart tells us is right.



I am going to add some new thoughts to the painting I put on my other blog connected to the thoughts I have here.

This blog is linked to my other. Motion and Emotion

4 comments:

  1. That's such a great metaphor! You really have to have an open, receptive mind to make that connection between crossing the tides at the beach and life itself. Thanks for starting my day with something to ponder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds lovely, Ralph. Thanks for the visual you painted for us with your words. Sounds like you had quite a workout on your holiday. I remember not too long ago you wrote that you ran for the first time in a long time. I'm glad you are healthy enough to do the things you love to do. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning Ralph, today will be a great day!
    You are sounding rejuvinated and young indeed! I
    too have given away a lot of my work, never as a "good deal" to someone, but more as a "piece of my heart". This is part of the fun of life. As I recuperate and get stronger I doubt that I will take up running but today's blog makes me want to find my old bicycle from behind the shed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the painting and the philosophy...wonderful. The way of TAO!

    ReplyDelete