Friday 3 December 2010

It Comes From Hardship

One of the strange things about this terrible weather we are having, well terrible for some, is the sense of togetherness it seems to engender. I actually love the snow, no matter how long it lasts. I enjoy running in it, and I enjoy the walks I have in it. Yesterday as I ran , more people than normal spoke to me, making comments about how ambitious I was being etc. Even when out walking more people speak, there is almost a sense of, “we are all in this together.”




This reminded me of the true story of some years ago.

It happened late at night, at 11:30 pm, an older African-American woman was

standing on the side of an Alabama highway trying to endure a lashing

rain storm. Her car had broken down and she desperately needed a ride.

Soaking wet, she decided to flag down the next car.

A young white man stopped to help her - generally unheard of in those conflict-filled

1960s. The man took her to safety, helped her get assistance and

put her into a taxi cab. She seemed to be in a big hurry! She wrote

down his address, thanked him and drove away.

Seven or so days later there was a knock at the young mans door. Standing there when he answered was a delivery man, he had a giant colour television and music player addressed to him. Also attached was a letter addressed to him, it read:

Dear Mr. James

Thank you so much for assisting me on the highway the other night. The rain drenched not only my clothes but my spirits. Then you came along, and because of you I was able to make it to my dying husbands bedside just before he passed away. God Bless you for helping me so unselfishly.

Yours Sincerely

Mrs. Nat King Cole.

Yes ,I am aware that there are many who in the present climate are acting selfishly, but there are more than normal those who are becoming aware that we are indeed, “all in this together.”

I have left yesterdays other blog for a bit longer after the emails I recieved. I Remember (No More)

3 comments:

  1. It is wonderful how we all pull together in rough times; and usually with good will.

    I wonder why we can't remember to do the same when the sun shines and all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You gave me chills this morning. Not from the snow you posted, but your story. I never heard it before. Roisin O'Farrell wrote this morning that she is experiencing this same thing in Ireland. The snow situation is bringing the best out of people. Hardships do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Living in Florida I've been through a few hurricanes. It's the same here, devastation brings humans together like nothing else.. In 2004 we had 3 major hurricanes in 7 weeks. For me to be under a dining room table for protection it was pretty bad. And after we were all in it together. Neighbors helping each other as though they were family. Although I must add that country people are pretty much that way all year round. People come together when they are in trouble as in no other time..
    Too bad that doesn't happen every day. What a kind world this could be all year.

    ReplyDelete