Monday 2 April 2012

Being Blind and Seeing Deeply

 
Summer Thoughts And Love

I have spoken often of my blind friend on this blog. He is a lad I love spending time with because he helps me to see the world like nobody else does. Knowing him has helped me to look at things and really see them, and to appreciate with all my heart what it is I am seeing.

But another lesson he has reinforced for me is also the art of listening. When you cannot see the need to use the ears and become a good listener becomes even more important.  It is not just what is said that is important, but the manner in which it is said. One of the greatest compliments paid to be was paid by Andy when he said to be, I do not really know what you look like but I can hear you are an honest man.

I was thinking of this yesterday as I walked along  coastal path, and I remembered the story I would like to share with you now.

After Bankei, a famous wise man, had passed away, a blind man who lived near the master’s temple told a friend:

“Since I am blind, I cannot watch a person’s face, so I must judge his character by the sound of his voice. Ordinarily when I hear someone congratulate another upon his happiness or success, I also hear a secret tone of envy. When condolence is expressed for the misfortune of another, I hear pleasure and satisfaction, as if the one condoling was really glad there was something left to gain in his own world.
“In all my experience, however, Bankei’s voice was always sincere. Whenever he expressed happiness, I heard nothing but happiness, and whenever he expressed sorrow, sorrow was all I heard.”

On reflection I feel that the greatest lesson we can learn is always ever to only say what we mean and to only ever mean what we say. 

This blog is linked to my other where I speak of the artwork used.  Thoughts of Summer and Love.

3 comments:

  1. Good Morning Ralph! and one can listen with
    "only half a heart" as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that this one important lesson makes any human genuine..I always keep this in mind.. enjoyed the post much.The painting is lovely too.

    ReplyDelete