Thursday 10 March 2011

Lets Get To The Heart Of The Matter.

I was listening to the young lad who lives next door conversing with his mother. In the short span of about five minutes he asked his mother more questions that I could find answers. I smiled to myself, remembering such days with my own two children.

I was reminded of a meeting I attended with parents and the morning of laughter we had as each in turn told stories about their children and some of the wonderful insights they came out with.

My own son the day he stood up halfway through my sermon and walked to the front of the church where he innocently looked up to me and in his best voice said, “ Dad I am just going to go through to the church hall to play. This sermon is too long and boring, if you are not going to chidrenize it I am leaving.” On which he did just that, his mother in hot pursuit.

Another tale is the ne I give you this morning. Is it true? I am not at all sure, but I can tell you this, if I was told it was true I would have no difficulty in believing it.

The story is of the Sunday School teacher speaking with her class. The lesson was on the concept of getting to heaven.




 
She asked them, 'If I sold my house and my car, 
 had a big garage sale 
and gave all my money
to the church,
Would that get me into Heaven?'

'NO!'

Answered the class. 



'If I cleaned the church every day, 
mowed the yard, 

and kept everything neat and tidy, 
would that get me into Heaven?'




Again, the answer was, 'NO!' 



By now she was starting to smile. 
Hey, this was fun!

'Well, then, if I was kind to animals 

and gave candy 
to all the children, 
and loved my husband, would that get me into Heaven?' 
She asked them again.     


Again, they all answered, 'NO!'

She was just bursting with pride for them. 
'Well,' she continued, 'then how can I get into Heaven?' 
  
A five-year-old boy shouted out,
 The first thing you need to get to heaven is you have to be DEAD 

Once again it takes the wisdom of a child to get to the heart of the matter. 

This blog is linked to my other.  A Work in progress

4 comments:

  1. And hence, we have "Kids say the darndest things!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Ralph, I am up way before the sun and it will be a great day for sure. This story reminds me of a cemetary I pass every day on my way to getting supplies. It is a beautiful, old wooded place with a strange ordinance. It seems that if you live within one mile radius of this cemetary then you may not be buried there! "Why?" you may ask. Because you are alive, living within one mile!

    ReplyDelete