Tuesday, 8 March 2011

It All Comes Round

At last I can sit down and post a blog. I have been, as the saying goes, making haste while the sun shines. We have had seven days of no rain and the sun shining, so getting my plot turned over has been my first priority. So here I am, 14 hours of digging behind me and I can say it is all turned over. What a wonderful feeling of achievement. Today the sun is again shining so I hope at some point to plant the first of many crops.

I took great pride in writing in my gardening journal that I had completed stage one. Many of my fellow gardeners said they were amazed at how I had managed that in the short time, considering it had been left to cover with weeds all last year.

Also in my little journal, over the two or so years I have had my other plot, I have been making note of some of the unspoken and unwritten, “rules”.

Here is a short version of what I have noted.

Don’t.

·      Encroach on your neighbour’s space with plants animals or children.
·      Let your plot be overrun with weeds that invade
·      Plant anything that might cause shade for neighbours.
·      Leave rubbish lying around.
·      Have bonfires at busy times.
·      Steal other people vegetables.
·      Play loud music when others are looking for peace and quite
·      Monopolise the communal water.

Do
·      Participate in allotment life.
·      Share any excess plants, seeds and vegetables
·      Be considerate of others.
·      Keep your place looking neat and tidy.

It seems to work very well. The old barter system alive and kicking.

Reminds me of the story I was told recently by a very good friend. This made me chuckle hope it does you also.

It is a slow day in a damp little Irish town. The rain is beating down and the streets are deserted. Times are tough, everybody is in debt, and everybody lives on credit. On this particular day a rich German tourist is driving through the town, stops at the local hotel and lays a €100 note on the desk, telling the hotel owner he wants to inspect the rooms upstairs in order to pick one to spend the night. The owner gives him some keys and, as soon as the visitor has walked upstairs, the hotelier grabs the €100 note and runs next door to pay his debt to the butcher. The butcher takes the €100 note and runs down the street to repay his debt to the pig farmer. The pig farmer takes the €100 note and heads off to pay his bill at the supplier of feed and fuel. The guy at the Farmers' Co-op takes the €100 note and runs to pay his drinks bill at the pub. The publican slips the money along to the local prostitute drinking at the bar, who has also been facing hard times and has had to offer him "services" on credit. The hooker then rushes to the hotel and pays off her room bill to the hotel owner with the €100 note. The hotel proprietor then places the €100 note back on the counter so the rich traveler will not suspect anything. At that moment the traveler comes down the stairs, picks up the €100 note, states that the rooms are not satisfactory, pockets the money, and leaves town. No one produced anything. No one earned anything. However, the whole town is now out of debt and looking to the future with a lot more optimism. And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is how the bailout package works.

Have a marvelous day.

This blog is linked to my other.  Tools For The Job

5 comments:

  1. It just feels good to get something done, doesn't it Ralph? No planting here yet. Still getting below freezing temps and even had snow over this past weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ralph, great story! I had to pass it on...

    Congrats on turning your plot. I like the idea of keeping a journal. I'm certain it will be filled with lots of garden stories in time. This sounds like such a nice social gathering, while hard at work. Here you toil in your garden alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done. You are the man. As for me, I refuse to feel guilty for not emerging out of my cave. My excuse is that with all the rain, my yard is like a swamp. I'd need boots just to get the shovel out. Alright I'm going.

    That story is hilarious. So true.

    \\///\

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your gardening rules remind me of living in wide open spaces. I went to a blog yesterday of a man who has 10 acres of wilderness and he is busy practicing shooting his rifle for a competition. I guess he doesn't realize that many of us who live in the wilds are there for the peace and quiet. Yes, we have guns and we use them on rattlesnakes that threaten our dogs. Our dogs are terrified of the gun noise. Why do people think they can invade with noise, other people's peace and quiet?

    Hmmm, I enjoyed the story. If it worked so simply it'd be great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great work on the plot, Ralph---you have to be happy about it. I am not much of a gardner....but I appreciate gardens very much!

    Enjoyed the story too. :)

    ReplyDelete