Monday, 28 February 2011

I Wish You Two Would Behave.

I was digging my plot when I heard her. The two boys were obviously clowning about and she so wanted them to behave. So in her frustration she shouted at them, at the top pitch of her voice. I laughed. She had not noticed me. She turned and said she was so sorry for screaming like that. She just wished they would behave. I told her, “There is plenty of time for that.”

I told her the story of the mother who just wanted some silence.

The baby is teething-the children are fighting. My husband just called and said to eat dinner without him. Okay, one of these days you'll shout: "Why don't you grow up and act your age!" and they will, or "You guys get outside and find yourselves something to do...and don't slam the door!"...and they won't.
You'll straighten up their rooms neat and tidy, discarded toys put away. Bed clothes  tucked and smooth ... toys displayed on the shelves...hangars in the closet...animals caged, and you'll say out loud:,  "Now I want it to stay that way!" and it will.
You'll prepare a perfect dinner with a salad that hasn't been picked to death and a cake with no finger traces in it and you'll say, "Now there's a meal for a company." and you'll eat it alone.
You'll say, "I want complete privacy on the phone. No dancing around, no pantomimes, no demolition crews. Silence! Do you hear?", and you'll have it. No more plastic tablecloths stained with spaghetti, no more anxious nights under a vaporizer tent, no more dandelion bouquets, no more iron-on patches, knotted shoestrings, or chewing gum hair.
Imagine, a lipstick with a point, no babysitter for New Year's Eve, washing clothes only once a week, no P.T.A. meetings, no school runs, blaring radios, Christmas presents out of toothpicks and paste. No more "Wet Oatmeal Kisses". No more tooth fairy giggles in the dark, or knees to heal.
Only a voice crying..."Why don't you grow up?", and the silence echoing ......."I did."

Enjoy the day. It might be raining tomorrow. Enjoy your friend today you may be alone tomorrow. Enjoy the love even that does not always last forever. 

This blog is linked to my other.  Secret places of the Mind

7 comments:

  1. Good Morning Ralph, what great advice today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a blog I can relate to, definately!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm afraid this one made me cry. It's so true. Grown and gone, in my case both were 18 with one joining the military and one getting married. I enjoy the grandkids now but being 6 hours away it's not near as often as I'd like and they range from 10 -16 already! Yes, enjoy while you can. They grow so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Ralph you know how to make me tear up!! I feel so lucky that my youngest still lives at home..I know..he is 28 but has Tourettes and ADD and he is such a funny sweet man. My oldest lives 35 miles away and I love hanging out with him but it is not often..I think of their sweet baby skin and fat little feet even 31 years later. I hope they had a good childhood because I tend to remember the mistakes I made! It was a time to cherish and I do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't that the truth?! I visited my sons over the weekend, with their wives, about a 3 hour drive away. I remember sending them outdoors to roughhouse, feeling frustrated by their fighting. The house is very quiet without them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have children, but this works on so many levels...husband, friends, family, and pets. Very good story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've not had a point on a lipstick for years ... lol!!!

    Today it is beautiful, I appreciate my friends and revel in the love I have received because although it was short lived I have my memories. :)

    Ok Ralph just received your email today. Get back to you.

    ReplyDelete