Thursday, 10 February 2011

The Good Corn Tale


 I have this week been giving thought to my plot. It seems that some of my friends across the pond do not know what I mean when I talk of my plot. I will therefore explain before going any further. About a mile from my home is a fairly large plot of land. There is a small car parking area in the centre enough room for four cars at any one point of time. On either side the ground is divided into a number of plots, 28 in total. On each plot there is a shed for tools and on some a small glasshouse. One or two of these plots are further sub divided into half plots. We each contribute a small sum each year for the general maintenance and a large delivery of manure which is shared.

I have up till now had one of the smaller half plots. This year I will have one of the full sized ones. I will therefore be able to grow a larger variety of produce. The work of course will be twice as hard.

The thought of this almost new venture is exciting and I am already planning what I will plant and where.

This brings me to my story for today. My mind being on my crops reminded me of the tale of the farmer and his corn.

There was a farmer who grew award-winning corn. Each year he entered his corn in the county fair where it most often won the top award.
One year a newspaper reporter interviewed him and learned something interesting about how he grew it. The reporter discovered that the farmer shared his seed corn with his neighbours
"How can you afford to share your best seed corn with your neighbours when they are entering corn in competition with yours each year?" the reporter asked.
"Why sir," said the farmer, "didn't you know? The wind picks up pollen from the ripening corn and swirls it from field to field. If my neighbors grow inferior corn, cross-pollination will steadily degrade the quality of my corn. If I am to grow good corn, I must help my neighbors grow good corn."
He is very much aware of the connectedness of life. His corn cannot improve unless his neighbor's corn also improves.
So it is in other dimensions.
Those who choose to be at peace must help their neighbors to be at peace.
Those who choose to live well must help others to live well, for the value of a life is measured by the lives it touches.
And those who choose to be happy must help others to find happiness for the welfare of each is bound up with the welfare of all. 
The lesson for each of us is this: if we are to grow good corn, we must help our neighbours grow good corn.
 

This blog is linked to my other.   Summer Will Come

5 comments:

  1. Good Morning Ralph, I am up early this morning!
    I love the corn analogy to life - so true! and I will love to hear more stories and descriptions and photos of your garden plot! I would like to see the garden shed and hear stories of the other people who have plots. What do you plant? It is February in Oregon and time to plant peas! I plant the edible pea pod variety used in Chinese food: "snow peas".

    ReplyDelete
  2. So how's your corn coming these days?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed, Ralph, we're all in this together and when we want the best for eachother...well....we are repaid in kind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow..another wonderful story and painting!

    ReplyDelete