Wednesday, 8 December 2010

We Just Need Somebody To Understand.

To Where?

It is amazing how something like an unusually harsh fall of snow can change ones whole life, if even only for a time. Everything you do is dictated by the weather. Yesterday I managed with the help of mountain running shoes to venture out and do a run. I had then made up my mind that I would spend the day contentedly at home. I would paint, tidy up my study. The thought of no more snow to move was at least a bonus. Then my son needs me to help him get to the post office sorting office to collect undelivered mail. It was crucial for a court case he has today. This meant getting my car out of the drive and down the hill. With difficulty I managed it and after a long slow journey we made it to the office. Then the long slow journey back and back up the hill to home. Day almost over and nothing I had planned had been done. Everybody is having their difficulties, and everybody just needs you to understand. Life certainly has changed.
You would think that my being in would mean I would have time to read and comment on blogs and contact friends. The truth is I am spending less time than ever on my computer. I seem to spend most of my time answering the calls for help.

I remembered the beautiful story of the boy and his new puppy. I apologise if you have heard it before, I first heard it many years ago.

A store had a sign in the window that read "Puppies For Sale."

Signs like that have a way of attracting small children, and sure enough, a little boy appeared in the store asking. "How much are the puppies?"

The store owner replied, "Anywhere from £20 to £40."

The little boy reached in his pocket and pulled out some change. "I have £3," he said. "Can I please look at them?"



The store owner smiled and whistled and out of the kennel came Lady, who ran down the aisle of his store followed by five teeny, tiny balls of fur. One puppy was lagging considerably behind. Immediately the little boy singled out the lagging, limping puppy and said, "What's wrong with that little dog?"

The store owner explained that the vet had examined the little puppy and had discovered it didn't have a hip socket. It would always limp. It would always be lame.



The little boy became excited. "That is the puppy that I want to buy." The store owner said, "No, you don't want to buy that little dog. If you really want him, I'll just give him to you."

The little boy got quite upset. He looked straight into the store owner's eyes, pointing his finger, and said, "I don't want you to give him to me. That little dog is worth every bit as much as all the other dogs and I'll pay full price. In fact, I'll give you £3 now, and 50 pence a week until I have him paid for."



The store owner countered, "You really don't want to buy this little dog. He is never going to be able to run and jump and play with you like the other puppies." To his surprise, the little boy reached down and rolled up his pant leg to reveal a badly twisted, crippled left leg supported by a big metal brace. He looked up at the store owner and softly replied, "Well, I don't run so well myself, and the little puppy will need someone who understands!"



We ALL need someone who Understands! So it was agreed: the little boy took the little puppy home.

I am sorry if I have been missing blogs, please do understand.

This Blog is Linked to my other. The Deer

4 comments:

  1. I cried at the puppy story ... it's all this snow and struggle it's making me emotional. Please don't take my sadness as a negative Ralph, it's a talent of yours to reach people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes indeed foul weather does change one's routine. There has been so much snow all around us here ... we have nary a flake.
    Blustery winters are common on this side of the pond so pehaps we are better equipped to handle what wintery skies throw our way. And we do understand ... I know the people in London, Ontario do .... they were asked to stay at home yesterday; not even to venture to work with over a meter and a half of snow falling yesterday.
    Hopefully your weather will level out, roads and pathways get cleared and shelves stocked again soon.
    In the meantime ... enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story, once again. Glad you're answering calls for help instead of sitting at your computer. Stay safe and warm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i understand
    that you are grand
    with pen in hand
    and brush again
    you'll paint the land
    and we will stand
    with hearts in hand

    ReplyDelete